Chino High School History
Chino High School is one of the oldest schools in all of Southern California. Its history goes back to 1897 when Chino School District and Chino High School were founded. The first class graduated in 1900 from a building long ago demolished, and supplanted by the current Community Building.
In the year 1862, the manager of the Chino Ranch, Joe Bridger, asked for a census to establish a need for the construction of a public school.
The current campus of Chino High dates from 1951, where ten class buildings were constructed at the corner of Tenth Street and Park Place.
Chino High School, in those days, consisted of a junior and senior high combination, and was referred, to as Chino Junior and Senior High. Students attending Chino High, depending upon the classes they attended, had to commute (on foot) between the Riverside campus (presently District Office) and Park Place (current location).
Slowly, but surely, additions were made to the current campus, such as the boys shower and locker building in 1951, with the girls staying at the Riverside campus for the time being. Shortly thereafter, the bleachers and the stadium were constructed and with it the girls shower and locker building. Our gym was not built until 1963.
Chino High was constructed on 55 acres of land with the idea of constructing a junior college on its grounds. In those days, Chino was not included in a junior college district as it is now (Chaffey Community College District).
Information furnished by Mr. G.F. Litel, former Superintendent, Principal, Vice Principal and teacher at Chino High School.
Dear Chino High school
Fairest of all
Our Alma Mater dear,
We pledge to thee our Cowboys who
Have won your fame for years..
Hail to our Alma Mater dear,
Hail all, all hail to thee
We sing to thee, dear Chino High,
Hail all, All Hail to Thee